Wouldn’t it be great if there was a pill you could take to give you super powers as a leader? Well, in a way, there is. It’s called it a “Choice Pill”. You take it as needed to enhance your leadership skills. Close your eyes and imagine yourself taking the “Choice Pill” and here’s what happens:
- You feel powerful!
- You are in charge of you!
- You choose how you think and feel.
- You can choose to be happy, or not.
- You can choose how to respond to what happens to you. You can choose to have a good day, even if you spilled coffee on your pants.
- You can choose to lead your team with full gusto toward the goal when a controversial decision on a project direction is made, even if this was not your first choice.
- You can choose to enjoy listening to a CD in your car when you are stuck in traffic rather than being angry at other drivers and the slow traffic.
Feelings are not just emotions that happen to you. Our feelings come from our thoughts. If you control your thoughts and your feelings come from our thoughts, you are capable of controlling your feelings. This affects your actions and the results you produce. This may be new way of thinking for you but once you get this, you will see the world differently. This enhances your personal power and leadership skills.
Many of us were brought up in a culture which taught us not to be responsible for our feelings. For example, “You hurt my feelings.” “You make me mad.” When you turn your thoughts around from “So & So did this or that to me” to “I chose to be angry or happy” there is power because you are in charge of you. You go from victim to victor.
You are the person responsible for how you think, feel and act. You can learn to think differently about anything –if you decide to do so.
Let’s face it, every immediate reaction may not be wonderful. When you’re in a situation and something negative “pops” into your head, you can choose to keep it or get rid of it. Sometimes you may have to “digest” it a little first.
You can learn to think, feel and act differently by making choices to do so. Take your Choice Pills, choose a powerful mindset and see what a difference it makes in your life, and in your leadership.