NLP, which stands for Neuro Linguistic Programming, is a study of human behavior and excellence. It is a modeling technology which distinguishes the difference that makes the difference between genius and average performers in a particular field. What I’m finding exciting about being in the study of NLP is the guiding principles upon which it is built that form a useful foundation for effective communication. Some of these are hard to accept but it’s just that acceptance that is the doorway to excellence. Here are some of them:
1. I create my experience of reality! Those of you who follow me regularly know this to be true. Once you get this distinction, you realize you have power to change anything in your life.
2. How you communicate determines the response you get. So NLP teaches you how to communicate effectively to accomplish what you want.
3. If it’s possible for another, it’s possible for me.
4. People do not respond to reality, they only respond to their map of reality. This follows directly from #1 above.
5. There is no such thing as failure, only feedback. The way I have spoken about this in the past is that being effective means getting out of the world of right and wrong and instead, look at everything in life as a victory or a learning experience. This gives you lots of freedom to experiment and fail.
6. Since everyone has their own map of reality, it’s critical in relationships to honor other’s map of reality.
7. Everything that gets accomplished in relationships is influenced by the degree of rapport between the parties. So resistance in someone is a sign of a lack of rapport.
8. People make the best choice available to them at the time.
9. People have all the essential resources to make a desired change.
There is lots more but that should give you enough to think about for the moment. I’ll be back with a lot more.